We're looking for dedicated, volunteers and energetic people to join the RPM Fusion Infrastructure team.
What stuff is waiting to be done?
- Getting the personal thanks after helping fix a system issue for them.
- Running the servers that make the RPM Fusion project possible
- Creating/Maintain custom applications that help developers be more productive doing what they do best: Packaging for RPM Fusion
- Building tools that enhance and grow the RPM Fusion project.
The skills you may want to learn to do this work include:
- Being nice to other hard-working hackers and helping them do what they enjoy
- Knowing how to write scripts for system administration
- Knowing how to write web applications using Python and SQL or equivalent technologies
- Knowing how to debug and specially how to audit systems, services and applications.
- Knowing how the RPM Fusion project works behind the scenes
- Have previous systems admin experience
Have access to your own testing machines for testing and staging prod (Huge plus! Our resources are limited obviously, especially for testing which we haven't)
- Work in other areas of RPM Fusion like Packaging or Documentation
- Work in Fedora Infrastructure team or have knowledge on services that Fedora Infrastructure runs.
How to Get In
Joining the Infrastructure group is easy.
Sign up for a RPM Fusion Account.
Subscribe to the firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send an introduction with some notes about your experience and skill level to the rpmfusion-sysadmin list (Don't forget this!)
Once you are familiar with the team and know some people, take some time to pick a RFIG (RPM Fusion Infrastructure Group)
Now the most important step Get Sponsored. Find sponsors in the RFIG you've selected and keep bugging them until someone says yes. You constantly coming back and saying I want to help says a lot about you. We're currently low on sponsors so being around and offering help is your way of saying "I'm serious, and I'm ready to commit"
Even if you don't want to be involved on a regular basis at this point, please feel free to watch over things and report bugs as you see fit.
Showing interest now is a great way to make it easier to join the team's activities later.
How the team works
The team itself consists of volunteer and dedicated people. Our preferred method of communication is on irc.freenode.net in #rpmfusion
though we also heavily use the RPM Fusion infrastructure-list.
New members are encouraged to join the list, step in our irc channel and ask for anything related to RPM Fusion infrastructure.
Getting a feel for how the group works is important and will make the start better for them.